Here are Sarah's choices for February's reading. Take a look and cast your vote. I'll leave the poll open through Jan. 6th:
The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins:
See Jen's synopsis below.
Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson:
Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute... Laurie Halse Anderson's first novel is a stunning and sympathetic tribute to the teenage outcast. The triumphant ending, in which Melinda finds her voice, is cause for cheering (while many readers might also shed a tear or two). After reading Speak, it will be hard for any teen to look at the class scapegoat again without a measure of compassion and understanding for that person--who may be screaming beneath the silence. (Amazon.com, Jennifer Hubert review)
The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath:
Plath was an excellent poet but is known to many for this largely autobiographical novel. The Bell Jar tells the story of a gifted young woman's mental breakdown beginning during a summer internship as a junior editor at a magazine in New York City in the early 1950s. The real Plath committed suicide in 1963 and left behind this scathingly sad, honest and perfectly-written book, which remains one of the best-told tales of a woman's descent into insanity. (Amazon.com review)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
GREAT choices! The Bell Jar is AMAZING but I've been wanting to read Speak forever. I know which one I'm voting for :)
I agree... it was a hard choice for me too! - Sarah
I just finished Hunger Games and it is a MUST read. I need to talk about this book--and it's sequel. I already voted so VOTE for Hunger games and you can borrow my copy. You won't be able to put it down.
Post a Comment