Sunday, January 20, 2008

Prospects for JUNE!!!

Okay, so I am WAY past the threatened deadline. But in my defense I have been SLAVING away in Primary where most of you have a child or two. :) Also, I have been thinking FAR too hard on what my choices should be. It's a big deal because I probably won't be able to give reading choices for another year...most likely. :)

Here goes:

  • The Color Code, Taylor Hartman, Ph.D.--"Taylor Hartman's The Color Code: A New Way to See Yourself, Your Relationships, and Life introduces a fresh method for analyzing your own personality and behavior--as well as those of people around you--and then utilizing that knowledge to improve workplace and personal relationships. The author, a psychologist and leadership coach, offers a remarkably astute system for grouping everyone into categories denoted by a color: red (power wielders), blue (do-gooders), white (peace keepers), and yellow (fun lovers). He then explains how to ensure that all possible alliances between them function at optimum effectiveness."---Amazon.com

I know we've mentioned the "Color Code" a time or two in conversation and some of us have read it while others haven't. I have never actually read the entire thing, but would love to re-test and reassess myself. What do you think?

  • The Richest Man In Babylon, George S. Clason--"What can a book written in the 1920s tell modern investors about their finances? A whole lot if it's George Clason's delightful set of parables that explain the basics of money. This is a great gift for a graduate or anyone who seems baffled by the world of finance and a wonderful, refreshing read for even the most experienced investor." --Los Angeles Times

My Husband and I have read this and LOVED it! I believe EVERY ONE should read it once a year.

  • The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman, Ph.D.--"Unhappiness in marriage often has a simple root cause: we speak different love languages, believes Dr. Gary Chapman. While working as a marriage counselor for more than 30 years, he identified five love languages: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. In a friendly, often humorous style, he unpacks each one. Some husbands or wives may crave focused attention; another needs regular praise. Gifts are highly important to one spouse, while another sees fixing a leaky faucet, ironing a shirt, or cooking a meal as filling their "love tank." Some partners might find physical touch makes them feel valued: holding hands, giving back rubs, and sexual contact. Chapman illustrates each love language with real-life examples from his counseling practice.
  • How do you discover your spouse’s – and your own – love language? Chapman’s short questionnaires are one of several ways to find out. Throughout the book, he also includes application questions that can be answered more extensively in the beautifully detailed companion leather journal (an exclusive Amazon.com set).
  • Each section of the journal corresponds with a chapter from the book, offering opportunities for deeper reflection on your marriage. Although some readers may find choosing to love a spouse that they no longer even like –hoping the feelings of affection will follow later– a difficult concept to swallow, Chapman promises that the results will be worth the effort. "Love is a choice," says Chapman. "And either partner can start the process today." --Cindy Crosby. "
  • --This text refers to the Amazon.com Exclusive Journal & Paperback Book Set.

I haven't read this one, but had my husband get it to read while he was away for 6 weeks. Kevin keeps telling me I "really need to read this one".


2 comments:

Brenda said...

This was a hard decision for me Jenn. I was still debating between the last two this morning, but I think I've decided on the finance one! I love a good book about money. (:

jenny-penny said...

It is looking like "Richest Man" is going to be the choice. I would suggest to everyone that they purchase this one. It can generally be found for less than $5 and more often less than $3. I have seen it at Daedalus in the past but haven't been there recently. I'm excited for this one. :)